Friday, June 26, 2009

Introduction...So far.

here's what I have so far as the Introduction of the novel that I'm writing. I leave Olympia in a couple of hours to embark on a journey that has really has no end.

"The horrid mist rose suddenly over the sunset, myriad adventures seemingly lost in a white wash of dirty days. Estes sat on the back porch of his parents small delapitating humble abode, pondering his next move.
"What's next?" he asks outloud, not really directed towards anyone. A banjo is strapped to his thin wirey frame, a smirk plastered across his face lets the camera know of his general nature. Though he has no ida of the ancient banjo traditional songs, his soul is in it, just as it is in his paintings.

Growing up in a house of love and good food worked to the advantage of Estes, being that he learned the significance of human interaction through the sharing of food. His mother an optimistic catylyst for his entirety; a wonderful woman with unrelentless belief in all of her children. Jane is a master of many things: puppets, pickiling, pie making, money management, and looking on the bright side of life. She grew up in a house of cooperation and brotherly mayham just as her three sons have come to understand present day reality.

Estes's father drinks too much whisky with a firey breath that accompanies his pyromania, most of the times kept at bay by oral fixations. A chimney with the woodworking skills of a fine artiesan. Times are rememberd by his close friends of flaming chirstmas trees that surround nelson like a buring aura, or of his wizard staff that blows fireballs high up into the wide open Texas skys.

Growing up on the east side of Austin gave Estes a daily dose of urban reality. No white picket fences with fancy cars, but instead-- tricked out gallopies that rattle house windows with deep bass as they drive by. Riding trykes down the front hill of our estate, on track to catch lizards and pretend there is nothing else. Estes learned a great deal from the kids growing up around him. In fact he even learned to put ice inside his bubble gum.

His two brothers sandwich him in their wisdom, being that Estes had the chance to be a middle child. Never being the first or last one seemed to teach him patience and preserverence, something that was then passed onto his younger brother Russel. Russel is plastered in freckles, like he was born behind a cow in the field. This was only partially true, being that Estes and all of his siblings were born at home-- on the mattress that his parents slept on for a good 15 years after their first child Levi."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The names have been changed to protect the innocent...right? Onward through the fog! XO

Anonymous said...

Hey baby boy~

I heard you were having weight issues...enjoy these words of wisdom from from The Band, many years ago:

I pulled into Nazareth, I was feelin' about half past dead;
I just need some place where I can lay my head.
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, and "No!", was all he said.

(Chorus:)
Take a load off Fannie, take a load for free;
Take a load off Fannie, And (and) (and) you can put the load right on me.

I picked up my bag, I went lookin' for a place to hide;
When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side.
I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on, let's go downtown."
She said, "I gotta go, but m'friend can stick around."

(Chorus)

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee company?"

(Chorus)

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rags, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

(Chorus)

Catch a Cannonball, now, t'take me down the line
My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time.
To get back to Miss Annie, you know she's the only one.
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone.

(Chorus)

Anonymous said...

Old men know old soles when they see one and they sometimes ride along just for the company. Hope you don't mind a little company from an old man such as I. You will probably publish before I do and again will make me proud of my nephews. Three word merchants' extraordinaire. Remember, words don't always have to be colorful to sing. Some of the most profound truths are convayed with the fewest words. DGS

Anonymous said...

Dearest~ I shall be checking Sebastian's blog every day -- just in case he has the strength to write it after an action packed day! Isn't this going to be fun? And I love the "novel" part -- if he gets through half the trip, I'm sure the press will catch up with him from just hearing stories of this wild and crazy artist guy with the Tintin haircut (love it!), a song and a banjo, peddling his way across the great USA.
What a story. Rick said he will store Sebastian's paintings safely upstairs, -- he's got lots of room. He and Sam got the base coat on the new plaster (once in awhile, not often, Sam does check in!) And now he is stripping the paint off all the doors, baseboards, window frames, etc. What a job! Let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same!

Love and kisses and let's make this summer an adventure trip WITH Sebastian!

MomaXX0000

Anonymous said...

I just went to Sebastian's blog and read the first installment of his novel! The pictures of Sebstian, his bike and his art are wonderful -- I think we have the makiing of another Jack Kerovac here! His journey and adventures and blogs are going to make our summer, right? I wonder where he is tonight?

I had a long talk with Rick and Sebastian's "pod" of paintings arrived and the guys couldn't lift it off the truck! They are returning the first of the week with an extra strong guy and a bigger truck with a "lift" on it. Remember Stephen and Jane -- well Jane still lives in Brooklyn and has three bedrooms and their son just graduated from college and Rick is talking to her about the possibility of Sebastian renting a room from her. It is close to Brooklyn Museum (fabulous place). The room she rents out is occupied at present, but probably won't be when Sebastian arrives and needs a room in the fall. It would be great to be in the city with subways to everywhere and not miles up the Hudson in Rick's quaint little town.

The great adventure has begun at last. I pray every night that all goes well. Rick thinks that someone like 60 Minutes should be in on this -- what a story it would make to follow on TV!!!!

Love you,

MadreX00000